Cara Cara Orange Macarons
by Chef Sally Camacho Mueller
Preparation: 1.5 Hours
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 285 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine almond flour, confectioner’s sugar, and 1/3 cup of egg whites. Mix to form a smooth thick paste. Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixing bowl, or separate bowl with a hand mixer, combine 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar with remaining 1/3 cup of egg whites. Whisk on low speed and allow egg whites to get frothy.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar with water. Cook on medium to high until reaching 230 degrees F, and remove from heat.
- Immediately pour cooked sugar syrup in with the frothed egg whites. Turn whisk speed to high and whip until egg whites triple in volume.
- Use spatula to remove whipped egg whites from mixing bowl and fold into the almond four mixture in three portions until smooth and combined.
- Transfer mixture to pipe bag with #10 or #11 size plain round piping tip. Pipe mixture in small rounds onto baking sheet leaving about ½ an inch space between each macaron.
- Zest Sunkist® Cara Cara orange over the macarons to allow them to stick naturally. Leave macarons out at room temperature to dry for about 45-60 minutes.
- Once macaron tops are dry to the touch, bake for 15-18 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble the macarons, take the two sides that match up together to make a sandwich. Pipe ganache (recipe below) onto the flat side of one of the macarons.
- Place a piece of candied Sunkist® Cara Cara orange (recipe below) in the center of the ganache. Use the other matching side of the macaron to sandwich the two sides.
- Build remaining macaron sandwiches. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- In a medium sauce pot, combine heavy cream, Sunkist® Cara Cara orange zest and glucose syrup.
- Place mixture on medium heat and cook just before boiling. Remove from heat.
- Strain mixture over chocolate. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Using a hand blender, emulsify the mixture and add the butter. Blend until ganache is smooth.
- Place ganache in container with a lid. Allow to sit at room temperature for 2-4 hours to properly crystalize.
Candied Sunkist® Cara Cara Oranges
- Slice Sunkist® Cara Cara oranges in 1/8” thick rounds and place in sauce pot.
- Cover orange slices with water. Bring to boil. Discard water.
- Add the granulated sugar and the measured water to the sauce pot.
- Place on medium to high heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer.
- Reduce mixture until all the water is evaporated. This may take 2-3 hours.