FLAPPER PIE WITH CARA CARA ORANGES
By Sally Camacho Mueller
Preparation: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
COOKING: 10-12 minutes
- In a bowl, combine graham crumbs, melted butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix to combine.
- Mixture is ready when you can grab a handful and squeeze it in your palm, and it holds it shape rather than crumbles.
- Press crust into a 9” pie plate. Save 2-3 tablespoons for the topping.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 10-12 minutes to toast the crust.
- Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Start with all cold ingredients.
- In a pot, combine milk, scraped vanilla bean and pod, sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks. Stir with a whisk to combine until there are no visible lumps of cornstarch.
- Place onto a medium heat and add the butter. Cook until mixture boils.
- Taste custard for doneness that there is no cornstarch feel on the palate. Remove from heat. Place custard into a clean container or bowl. Place the bowl directly on ice to cool custard as fast as possible. Once custard is cool, remove vanilla pod.
- Place half of custard inside graham crust shell. Arrange Cara Cara orange segments over the custard.
- Place the rest of the custard over the segments.
- Smooth over the custard so it creates a flat surface.
- In an electric mixer bowl with whisk attachment, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Whisk on medium speed until frothy. Slowly rain in sugar. Add sea salt. Whisk to stiff peak. Once meringue is ready, remove from mixer. Top pie with meringue.
- Sprinkle reserved graham crumbs on top of the meringue. Bake under an oven broiler at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes or until meringue is a light toasty brown.
- Remove from oven. Allow pie to chill for 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy the same day you are making it.
• Makes one 9” pie.