by Chef Bruce Kalman
PREPARATION: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour with salt and stir.
- Add the shortening and butter and work it into small pea size clumps of flour.
- Add water, 1 ounce at a time, and work it into a ball of dough. Note, it may not require all of the water.
- Knead the dough into a smooth ball.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Roll and form into 9” pie pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 mins before adding the quiche mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk and cream and cook over medium heat until scalded (a skin should start to form on the surface). Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly, about 10-15 minutes.
- In a blender combine milk and cream mixture, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg; blend on high speed until the batter is light and foamy, about 30 seconds.
- Spoon 1 cup each of cooked spinach and bacon and 1/3 cup preserved blood orange into each baked pie crust.
- Divide the egg mix 3 ways and add to the pie crust.
- Using a small spoon, gently mix to incorporate the other ingredients into the egg mix.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, until the top is lightly browned and the quiche is slightly jiggly; cook longer if needed.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely at room temperature.