Cara Cara Orange Cardamom Skillet Pancake
by Kaleigh McMordie, RD
Preparation: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place 10" cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add buttermilk, milk of choice, orange zest and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Carefully remove skillet from the oven and add butter. Allow to melt and completely coat the skillet.
- Pour batter into the skillet, insert into the oven and bake until the top is lightly golden (about 10 minutes).
- While the pancake is baking, peel oranges. Cut into segments by sliding knife between the white pith of each segment.
- Chop pistachios and make cardamom whipped cream (recipe below.)
- Remove cooked pancake from skillet. Top with whipped cream, oranges and pistachios.
Cardamom Whipped Cream
- Chill a large bowl in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl. Beat with hand mixer on high speed until soft peaks form (about 3 minutes).
- Mix in brown sugar, cardamom and salt.