BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH ORANGE AND GINGER
By Jessica Bippen, RD
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper and sauté until soft; about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir and let cook until fragrant; about 1 minute. Make sure to scrape any golden bits of the bottom of the pan for extra flavor.
- Add the butternut squash and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Carefully ladle the soup into a blender, working in batches if necessary. Add the fresh mandarin orange juice and cashew cream. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve with a drizzle of cream, pumpkin seeds, salt and pepper.