Roasted Beets with Citrus and Tarragon
PREPARATION: 15 minutes
ROASTING: 1.5 hours
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash beets and then place in a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until fork tender (check beets after 1 hour as cooking times may vary).
- Remove from oven and uncover. Let cool to room temperature. Remove the skins using a paper towel – they should slip off easily, otherwise use a knife to assist with this.
- Cut beets into wedges and lay out on a platter.
- Zest the orange over the beets.
- With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice off ends of the grapefruit and orange. Then cut rind off all the way around, using downward cutting motions. Trim off all remaining white pith. Hold grapefruit/orange over a small bowl, with a small paring knife, cut out grapefruit and orange segments, capturing any extra juice in the bowl. Discard any seeds.
- Drizzle the segments with olive oil then arrange the segments over the beets. Pour the juice and oil mixture over the dish. Scatter with tarragon and walnuts.
• This salad would be delicious topped with crumbled feta cheese or fresh goat cheese.
• Double the recipe for a great party dish.