Valencia Orange Ice Cream
by Chef Sally Camacho Mueller
Preparation: 1 Hour
- Prepare ice cream making vessel or unit: either an old fashioned churner, or an ice cream machine with a motor.
- Reduce 2 cups of Sunkist® Valencia orange juice to 1 cup, and ice down to chill.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, cream, vanilla scraped pods and seeds, and glucose syrup. Place on medium heat until hot, remove from heat. Allow to steep for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine milk powder and sugar. Add dry mixture into hot cream mixture. Whisk to combine. Return mixture to medium heat.
- In a separate heat safe bowl, combine egg yolks and zest.
- In small increments, pour hot mixture over yolks and zest. Mix vigorously while pouring.
- Make an anglaise or cook to 185 degrees F.
- Remove from heat. Run through a fine strainer.
- Hand-blend until smooth.
- Ice down immediately. Add cooled, reduced Sunkist® Valencia orange juice. Hand blend to combine.
- Mixture is now ready to spin and freeze. Follow the directions according to machine or vessel you have to make ice cream.
- Serve with Sunkist® Valencia orange slices.