Mason Jar Lemon Pies with Meringue Clouds
Cooking: 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the pie dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Set a jar onto the dough and cut around the base of jar with a small paring knife. Repeat to cut 6 dough circles.
- Place dough on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Set aside and let cool, leaving the oven set at 400°F.
- Whisk together the freshly squeezed Sunkist® lemon juice, water, zest, sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan until it’s well combined and cornstarch is dissolved.
- Place over medium heat and stir constantly until mixture is thickened and lightly simmering.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks with about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture to temper the eggs, and then whisk the egg mixture quickly back into the simmering mixture.
- Cook about 1 more minute, stirring constantly, until totally thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in butter.
- Insert a cooked piecrust circle in the bottom of each of the 6 jars and divide the filling among them while the filling is still hot.
- Whip the egg whites with cream of tartar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed.
- Once the egg whites are whipped to a soft peak, gradually start beating in the sugar, a little at a time. Continue beating until stiff and glossy but not dry.
- Pile meringue into each jar, dividing evenly, and sealing meringue onto edge of the jar to prevent shrinking of the meringue.
- Swirl with a spoon for a decorative, peaky top, and bake for about 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool.