Skip to content
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Slowly beat in sugar, until stiff peaks form and glossy.
- Drop meringue into eight piles onto prepared pans and using the back of a spoon shape into nests.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off and leave meringues in oven overnight to dry out.
- Fill meringue nests with lemon curd (recipe below).
- Garnish with whipped cream, candied lemon peel (recipe below) and mint, if desired.
- In heatproof bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Set over saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk constantly until mixture is thickened, enough to coat back of wooden spoon, approx 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the butter one piece at a time until smooth.
- Strain through a sieve, and store in a container in the fridge with plastic wrap over top, minimum 2 hours.
Candied Lemon Peel
- Scrub Sunkist® lemons. Using a vegetable peeler slice and cut into thin ribbons.
- In a medium saucepan, add 2 cups sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Add lemon peels and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Transfer lemon peels onto paper towels to drain.
- Toss peels in remaining 1/2 cup sugar until well coated.
- Dry 1-2 hours.