Mandarin Kale Salad with Cranberry Dressing
Preparation: 15 minutes
- Make the candied pecans first: place the pecans in a non-stick sauté pan. Toast over medium high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add honey and cook pecans in honey until caramelized, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with zest and salt and spread out onto a lightly pan sprayed sheet pan to cool.
- Peel and segment the mandarins and place in a large bowl.
- Remove any large ribs from the kale and then thinly slice. Rinse well and spin dry. Add kale to oranges along with dried cranberries.
- Blend the dressing, honey, and cranberries until smooth, and toss with the salad (try using a small smoothie blender or hand blender). Sprinkle with candied pecans.
• Substitute the cranberries and honey with 1/3 cup of cranberry sauce for a quick dressing alternative, to use up that after-holiday-dinner cranberry sauce.
• Add some sliced leftover turkey for a tasty salad add-on.